Greetings SFLPA Members & Friends,
The recent months have been devastating to many across the U.S. As we move into October, Californians are experiencing their own devastation, especially our neighbors in the North Bay. My thoughts and prayers go out to those who have lost their homes in those dangerous wildfires. I hope that your families were not affected but if they were, I hope they are safe and sound. We are still waiting to hear word on members of our own LSI family in Santa Rosa.
During this terrible time, it is important that we do what we can to help those in need. In last month’s article I asked everyone to support the local Red Cross. But now more than ever, we should do all that we can to donate either time, volunteer to help or donate items that would be of good use to those directly affected by the wildfires. A little goes a long way.
Our next Membership Meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, October 17, 2017. It will be hosted at the offices of Ogletree Deakins which is located at One Market Plaza, Suite 1300, San Francisco, CA 94105. Our guest speaker is: Michael Thomas, an Associate at Ogletree. He will be speaking on the “Laws Impacting Diversity and Inclusion.” We hope to see you there.
Also, we have our “Humpty Dumpty Mock Trial” that is being hosted at UC Hastings Law School. The Honorable Carlos Bea of the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals will be presiding over this mock proceedings. If you can join us, that would be fantastic. The event will be Thursday, October 19, 2017. The address of UC Hastings is 200 McAllister Street, San Francisco, CA 94102. Be sure to RSVP. See the event flyer for details.
Later this month, we have our Halloween Bingo Night. If you have not attended our Bingo Events in the past, you want to make sure you attend this event. There is music, finger foods and lots of ghoulish fun. The event will be hosted at the offices of Barkley Court Reporting, 200 California Street, Suite 375, San Francisco, CA 94111. See the event flyer for RSVP information as well as more event details.
Be sure to update your calendar for these upcoming events. Also, coming in January or February of 2018, a multi-week Legal Secretarial Training Program that will focus on civil litigation. The program is still in development so we don’t have any details to release at this time. We hope to begin registration in early to mid-November. So, stay tuned for more details.
Other programs/events that may be of interest to you:
- Quarterly Conference – November 10-12, 2017 at the Lions Gate Hotel & Conference Center in Sacramento
- Quarterly Conference – February 23-25, 2018 at Knott’s Berry Farm in Buena Park
- 84th Annual Conference – May 17-20, 2018 at the Beverly Garland Hotel in North Hollywood
LSI Online Training Program:
- Overview of California State Court Discovery – 6-Week Course that starts on November 6 thru December 18, 2017. Registration deadline is November 3, 2017. For more information, please visit the LSI Website: lsi.org – click on the ‘Online Classes’ tab.
Also, “Save the Date” for some important future events:
- October 26, 2017 – Halloween Bingo Fundraiser
- December 7, 2017 – SFLPA Holiday Party
- January 16, 2018 – General Membership Meeting
- February 18, 2018 – SFLPA Crab Feed Fundraiser
- March 20, 2018 – Elections Meeting
- April 28, 2018 – 82nd Officer Installation
Just a reminder, we are looking for a “Marketing Chairman.” If you are great at Social Media, this is your calling.
If you know of someone who works in the legal industry that would be a suitable fit to this position, please let us know.
If you have any suggestions or would like to provide us some feedback, please feel free to contact me at: firstname.lastname@example.org. We welcome any and all information or suggestions to help us provide you with the resources you need to be successful.
Enjoy the rest of your month and we hope to see you at an upcoming event.